Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Shoebox That Almost Wasn't


I am sure that most of you are familiar with the Operation Christmas Child program. Many churches take part in this most worthy of Christmas activities.

For quite a few years we have a packed a shoebox or two, prayed over them as a family and brought them to our church. Starting last year, our church got more involved and became a relay center. This simply means that we are a collecting church for many other churches in the area. I decided to volunteer my time at the relay center this year. So, I will work twice this week. I also decided to do this in lieu of packing a shoebox. (Cringe, right?)

Sunday morning as we sat in the pew waiting for the service to start, Joey and I were admiring all of the boxes around the podium. And, Joey says, "Mom, aren't we going to stuff a box this year?" And, I replied, "Well, I am working at the relay center, and donating my time, instead."

His answer cut me to the heart, "That's no excuse, Mom."

Sooooooooooooo, yesterday we went to buy items for a 10-14 year old boy, per Joey's request. He reasoned that not many people buy for the older kids, so he wanted to make sure an older boy got something.

In writing this, I am sharing my embarrassment and shame over my selfishness and short-sightedness. I didn't realize how he thought of it, how much a tradition it has become. I am humbled as a mother, to know that sometimes my kids have a bigger heart than I do.

This year boxes from our area go to Mexico, and I will be praying for that boy who will receive a box from Joey's heart, which is ultimately God's heart and love.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Tracey--

Tyler brought information home about the shoe box project too. I was meaning to ask you about it because I saw that the delivery for it was to your church. However, we didn't get around to doing it. I guess I'll try for the next project. I know bell ringing is one of the things we will do next.

Anonymous said...

Thank Joey for the nice reminder that we all have much to be grateful for.

Anonymous said...

Tracey,

This blog entry brought tears to my eyes. Wow...what a beautiful, generous thing for Joey (and you!) to do. You have a great family, and what a fantastic reminder that we're all so blessed. Thanks for sharing that.