It is no secret to most of you that I have been struggling with the fact that my 3 beautiful kiddos are in fact growing up. That is a tough pill for me to swallow. Don't get me wrong, I want them to grow up, be happy, make a life of their own to enjoy. The part I don't like is letting them go.....
And, I am discovering the letting go part begins long before they move out. In fact, I think it started when I began to say, "Oh, I can't believe he/she just slept through the night." And, "Oh they starting crawling/walking today." "Oh, he/she started school today." And, so on....
Slowly, slowly this process has been happening. So slow, yet, so fast.
Now, my oldest is 14 and I am struggling, really struggling. The independence is strong and fierce. When he was 3, it was cute. Not now, because now I know I really have to begin letting go for good. And, once I get finished with him, Hannah and Jessi aren't far behind.
I know that I have started a new season as a mother, and I will get through this just as I have the other seasons, but this one may just be the hardest for me. I have been reading a book written by Tim Kimmel that has really helped me immensely try to get a grip on parenting a teen as I navigate the letting go process. And, last night I read something I thought I'd share because I think it's application possibilities are endless.
I hope it will bring encouragement to you for whatever road you're on right now. :)
" I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, "Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown." And he replied, "Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than the known way."
King George VI
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
I hear you Tracey loud and clear! You are doing a great job. Joey is turning out to be a wonderful young man! I am so glad because he's a major influence on my young man. Joey is quoted more than anyone else I hear about. I love it!
what's the kimmel book you are reading? i loved "grace-based parenting". great quote!
Hey Missy- The book is called "Why Christian Kids Rebel" But, I think the title of the book is somewhat misleading. I don't feel I have a rebelling son, just want to be the best parent of a teenager I can be. It has some tremendous insights, and I am loving what I am learning. The thing that hits me the most about the book is the fact it makes you examine yourself as a parent and christian individual.
Dave and I are taking a Wednesday bible study starting tonight on the Grace Based Parenting. I am glad to hear you say it was good. We are looking forward to it.
Saying a prayer for your family today. :)
Maybe, just maybe it is payback.
but I am not going to say for which one.......:)
Mom
Please, oh please don't let payback be an actual concept.
Between Rich and myself, we would be in BIG trouble!
Post a Comment