Monday, April 27, 2009

Bullies


When I was in school the teachers didn't discuss bullying. They didn't create moments to educate and discourage bullying. That doesn't mean it didn't exist. It existed as much as it does today, but there were no teaching materials for it. My kids are indoctrinated about bullying and how it hurts and intimidates those effected by it. They have regular classroom visits from the school counselor about how to be a good friend and when teasing has crossed the line. Even after all of that they have still endured bullying from others. Not only that they have witnessed the abuse and aftermath others have been subjected to because of it.

The things of childhood, you say? I wish it were so. Recently, I met just such a person. It got me to thinking...........bullying is something we all have to deal with throughout our lifetimes. You meet them everywhere from the grocery store parking lot to the office where you work. You know the type. They insist on their way while they put others down. Intimidating and belittling, leaving the poor victim to wonder what they could have done to deserve it.

I think they need to have adult "bullying" education. 'Cause unfortunately growing up into adulthood still doesn't cure it.

2 comments:

Mindee said...

It sounds like there is a really, really good story behind this . . .

A.H. said...

Here's how I dealt with adult bullies... I gave the half smile... half evil eye back at 'em... and then once they left the room I muttered something like... geez what kind of an outfit is that... looks like they wore their pajamas to work. LOL Give it a try.