Saturday, May 2, 2009

Fashion Emergency


Imagine you were invited to appear on the Rachael Ray Show as part of a "Mothers making a difference in their communities" segment because you had started a walk-a-thon at your children's elementary school that had raised enough money to put in a walking track for the students and the local community. Then imagine that you would be appearing with Bill Clinton because his foundation co-sponsors "Allegiance for a Healthier Generation" and your school had won the award for healthiest school in the state. This lengthy imagination exercise happened to my friend and co-worker Mindee this week.


She called to tell me that this definitely constituted a bonafide fashion emergency. So last night along with our friend Missy we ventured to the mall and had a ball trying on many outfits. Not as many outfits as we would have liked, but enough to find something we were satisfied with. I had to laugh at our differing tastes as we browsed the racks of blouses, slacks, jackets and shoes, and then realize that was the beauty of the whole experience. Three women coming together to choose one outfit that would be suitable for national television. "I am loving how that red goes with those brown slacks." "Well, I am not loving how that red goes with those brown slacks." " You need really fun shoes with those pants. I am thinking some bling." "I am thinking some silver flats." LOL


Last night after I got home and thought about Mindee flying to New York on Monday morning, I wondered how come the dedicated mother who has organized the snacks for 600 kids at the walk-a-thon doesn't get invited on the show? Doesn't that constitute making a difference in my community? Doesn't Rachael Ray and Bill Clinton want to meet me? Apparently the answer is no. Oh, well, I'll just live it through Mindee's eyes, and at least I can say I helped pick out her outfit. She promised she'd tell everyone in New York about Missy and I. Hey maybe they'll want to do a new segment called "Cool women who help their friend at the last minute find an outfit for a TV appearance." I am just sure they would call us. :)

2 comments:

missy said...

still basking in the glow of last night. what a blast!

Amy said...

I am sure they'd call you too!