Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Going Out On a Limb

I am going to totally stick my neck out on this, so if you don't want to listen to my tirade then feel free to log off now. It's time to air a few grievances out. I feel some blog-therapy coming on. BTW, this posting has a PG rating.

Let me just pose this question to you all.......if you are instructing your child to avoid a behavior, then does it make sense to teach your child the way to do said behavior? Any intelligent adult would say, NO! Well, friends not in the public school. If you haven't guessed already I am talking about the subject of sex education.
I am appalled at what is being taught in the name of education. The school's plan clearly states that they advocate abstinence and the development of a "positive system of values", but they pass out condoms. No positive system of values for a 14 year old includes the use of condoms. They further state their materials and discussions consider the qualities that make for a good relationship with freedom and responsibility. And, they teach them responsibility by educating them on birth control options complete with illustrated diagrams to make sure it's all clear.
Here's my point with all of this:
1) The school should stick with abstinence only education. Period. If you are teaching a child not to do something, you don't follow-up with..."but if you're going to do it, then do it this way." If you waver on your stand, then you condone what you want to prevent.
2) Focus more on respect. Respect for themselves and others in a relationship. Sex outside of a married relationship respects no one.
3) Teach modesty by separating the boys from the girls during these intimate discussions. Evidently to the school, 14 is an adult. News flash: They're not!!! They don't even have a drivers license.
4) There is such a thing as too much information, and in this case, it is. I understand there are a few kids engaging in sex at this age, but not many. I mean if a kid is having sex at 14, then where are the parents? There is no doubt in my mind a 14 year old needs to have the "sex talk", but he/she does not need an in depth education on all forms of birth control. Can't we save the majority of kids that age the utter embarrassment of these explicit "instructions" of how to use a condom? I mean, come on people....
Am I mad about this? Furious!
Will I change the course of sex education in the public school? No, but if I keep silent about something I know is right, I deny myself and my kids the respect and freedom we all deserve.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGosh!!! Are you telling me my son was handed a CONDOM today at SCHOOL?????????? And the school didn't even have the decency to tell the parents???? What is wrong with the school system.

Mindee said...

Tracey Black for school board!

I'll be your campaign manager.

Brett said...

I feel pretty strongly against this stance, but I like how articulate you put your argument, sis. I agree things have changed drastically in the last decade concerning the topic of teens and sex. However, the fact is teenage pregnancy is on the rise. The best way to stop this? Sexual education. I don't know about everyone else, but when my parents told me I couldn't do something, the first thing I did was find a way to do said thing without getting in trouble. Translation? "Abstinence Only" fails badly. I know this is a pretty worldly view, but the school's job is to be secular, (like it or not) so really the only way to secure the morality of our youth is a strong relationship with God. Good thing there are Christian students in the school system to set good examples.

--Your Favorite Brother

Amy said...

I have to agree with your little brother. He is pretty wise! I did some research on the internet and it strongly supports what your brother says, which is darn unfortunate. However, I think all the parents should have some kind of notification about this being discussed in the classroom, so this "talk" can continue on in the home afterwards. In fact, Tyler and I talked about this now too! More to my liking, less on his part! :)

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!