Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day at Daytona


I am going to take a few days to chronicle our vacation on the blog, so if you're bored with vacation pictures then take a break from this site and log in next week. :) I had so much fun I want to share it all. I have to start with Daytona because after all that is why we went on this trip ultimately. The long awaited drive on Daytona International Speedway........As most of you know it was Dave's 40th birthday present from me and the kids. He turned 40 last year and we are just now getting around to making this happen. But, no matter, it was well worth the wait. We took so many pictures at the track mostly because we are a nutty Nascar family. We kept saying to each other, "Hey, don't you think Jeff Gordon probably walked right here?" Crazy Nascar fanatics.

All participants had to go through a mini training before they could get behind the wheel. Check out that smile on his face!! He was loving every minute!


Here is my hunky driver surveying the track. The banking in the turns looks so much steeper in person.


I love this picture of Dave and the kids looking out over the track from the Fan Deck. Don't you love the fire suit he had to wear. It makes him look so "authentic". LOL The problem was they fit a little bit big and when he first put them on I had to laugh 'cause they looked somewhat like pajamas.


Dave giving me the thumbs up before heading out on the track. He was a natural, and didn't kill the motor on pit road like several guys did. Each driver had to follow an instructor driver around the track. The instructor had control of how fast you could drive. The rule was you had to follow the instructor at exactly four car lengths at all times, if you fell back too far they flashed you a green light to speed up and if you followed too close they flashed you a yellow light to slow down. The four car length rule was your key to increasing your speed. As long as you followed at four car lengths the instructor would increase the speed each lap. Dave hit 145 mph, and was disappointed he couldn't go faster, but the experience was only 8 laps and he got several yellow lights. What a rebel.


Last but certainly not least, here I am in my coveted role of Nascar wife. No one asked me for my autograph, but I looked good in the role, don't you think? :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

Or maybe Kasey Kahne?! :)

Amy said...

Now that I read the rest of the story...that was indeed one cool experience!

Mindee said...

Now if only you had a Nascar wife's income!

missy said...

this is SOOOOOO cool. what an incredible and thoughtful gift. you both look fantastic.