Friday, August 14, 2009

Wrong Road


I have never been a big fan of Miley Cyrus. Frankly she drives me nuts, but my girls enjoy her show on Disney Channel. Dave watches it with them and gets a kick out of the guy who plays her brother on the show. I have watched her trying to shed her "little girl/Disney channel" image recently along with Ashley Tisdale of High School Musical/Suite Life fame. Miss Tisdale was recently on the cover of Cosmopolitan touting her new more "mature "self. And, Miss Miley was recently on the Teen Choice Awards showing off her more "mature" self.

I am equally appalled at both of them. Hannah's best friend was over a couple days ago and alerted us to the Miley performance on the award show so I took a look on You Tube to see for myself. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. She had on short shorts and a top to go with the "look". You see she needed the fashion statement to go with the accompanying dance routine that included such bravado as a pole dance.

Ashley Tisdale told Cosmo magazine that she wants to shed her preteen image for a more mature one. She has released a new album with more edgy lyrics so people can see she is an adult and not a little girl.

Unfortunately these two young women have the mistaken idea that being a mature woman means looking cheap and letting everyone know your body has gone through puberty. I hate that these young stars have handlers that have convinced them they have to do this in order to make the crossover from child star to adult star, which by the way, few do successfully. In Miley Cyrus's case her parents may be the culprit, which is even sadder. I watched the end of her performance long enough to see her parents in the audience give her a standing ovation. What parent would approve of that!? Obviously, they do.

I don't know if it makes me feel more sad or mad. I guess it's both. But what should I expect from Hollywood? They just continue to disappoint.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the BEST "letter to Miley"
gregstier.org
The man who wrote it is the founder and CEO of DARE2SHARE
It's all too bad Miley won't read the letter.
Check it out!!
PS-Just to let you know.....back to school means nothing to me-LOL
love you, Mom

Amy said...

Yeah, I've always seen Miley as an image soon to be similar to that of Britney Spears. I guess it wouldn't bother me, except that so many young girls look up to these victims of Hollywood. Shame, shame!

Mindee said...

Great post Tracey. Yeah, I think we are all done with Miley here. Maybe when all her young fans have abandoned her, that will let her "grow up"?
Sheesh.