Do you remember your 9th grade Homecoming? Funny thing for me is, out of the four Homecoming dances I went to, my first one is the only one I really remember. And, no it's not because I was too altered by alcohol to recall the others. It's just that the first one had so many lasting memories. Freshman year. First Homecoming dance. First corsage. Fabulous date. It sounds good from the outside, right? It was good....mostly. In fact, in some ways I would relive that night, if I could go back and do it and not be as stupid and shy as I was when I was 14. If I could go back, I would know how to pin on a corsage or at least have a friend who knew what she was doing, so we didn't have to spend 30 minutes in the bathroom trying to figure out how to get the dumb thing to stay on. I would negotiate a later curfew time so I wouldn't have to leave before the dance was over. I wouldn't volunteer to work the concession stand at the football game before the dance. Ick! My best friend and I had no time to do the amount of primping we would have liked. Quick change and run. But, most of all I would have relaxed a bit more instead of getting so nervous about all the things a 14 year old girl thinks about when she is about to go to her first Homecoming dance.
I am trying to remember all the feelings I had at that moment in my life, so that I can relate a bit better with Joey. This Friday, he has his first Homecoming. He hasn't asked anyone to the dance, and I don't think he will. He has watched some of his friends get a date successfully and some of them get turned down. It's tough to be a boy, risking rejection. We 'll see how the boy handles it. Go with a date, go stag, or stay home. At this point, I wouldn't even venture to guess.
Being a female, I am concerned that if he goes, he dresses nice. He doesn't know what he should wear, and as most 14 year old boys, would like to go in jeans and his tried and true, ever faithful, Husker t-shirt. I'm not letting him go like that. No way. But, what do kids wear to Homecoming these days? Anyone know? I'm thinking dress slacks or dockers and a nice shirt. I'll never get him in a tie.
In my true sentimental form, I put some songs on my playlist that I probably danced to at my freshman Homecoming in 1983. Yeah, go ahead and laugh.....1983. LOL
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I'm loving the songs. I'm leaving your page up so I can listen to the good oldies!
Did Joey have fun? Zach has no interest in dances, never has. I am wondering if this will change when he finds a girl to be interested in.
I think Homecoming 1984 was the best Homecoming also! That was the night that Allan gave me something wonderful that I can never repeat. A pearl promise ring! Had you wondering about me didn't you! No, really it was a wonderful time of innocence and stupidity. A time when I thought I knew so much and really had so much more to learn. Thanks for taking me down memory lane. As for Joey. I think the dress pants and nice shirt would be great. Don't think about the tie. He will look great, as long as he wears that cute smile of his. Terri
Post a Comment