Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happy 13th Birthday Hannah


My Dearest Hannah,

I remember so well the day you were born. You were 8 days past your due date, and the doctor told us to come to the hospital at 7 am on December 9 to induce labor. Dad and I were very nervous and had a hard time getting to sleep the night before. After all, Joey had come right on his due date, so we didn't have any idea what it was like to be induced. About midnight I woke up with labor pains and laid there for awhile trying to decide whether or not to wake Dad up since we both had finally fallen asleep. It became quite apparent in a short period of time that I was going to have to wake him up. I'll never forget what he said to me. "Are you sure?" What??? Of course I was sure. I really think he wanted to catch a few more hours of sleep, but that was not be.

We got to the hospital about 2 am, and the nurse asked if she could help us. I said, "Well, I am scheduled to be induced at 7 this morning, but I think I'll do this on my own." You were born at 7:57 am.


It's funny the things you remember. For instance, your Dad's co-worker called him while I was lying there in labor, and didn't have any qualms about discussing plans for their upcoming Christmas party. That still burns me when I think about it. :) And, of course, I'll never forget the words from the doctor announcing, in the strangest way possible, that you were a girl. We decided with all three of you kids to have each one be a surprise. We didn't know whether you were a boy or a girl until that beautiful moment of birth. I can tell you with certainty that most every woman dreams of having a little girl of her own, just as men dream of having a son of their own. At that time I had a beautiful little boy, so I really wanted a baby girl. I longed to hear the doctor say, "It's a girl!" But, instead, he said, "It's indoor plumbing!" Great, just the way I had always imagined hearing it. LOL
You may wonder why you have bright blue on in this picture. Well, remember, I said you were a surprise. It took me a few days before I could go out and buy pink. Until then you were in Joey's old baby clothes. We were good parents.....really. :)


I was so excited and happy, I cried. Well, in all fairness, I cried at each birth. But, if you want something to hold over your brother and sister's heads, you were the easiest birth by a long shot. The other two......well, let's just say their personalities showed from the beginning. :)



Since that day, we have loved every minute of watching you grow up. Today, you are no longer a little girl. You are officially a teenager.



I so much enjoyed you when you were little. I know you hear me say, I wish I could make all three of you little again, just for a day. But, you know what? I enjoy you just as much now. You are so much fun to be with. You are my shopping buddy, and my fashion consultant. You are always willing to help lend a hand whenever I need it. You are such a hard working individual in so many aspects of your life. I can always count on you.

I love you more than words can say. And, Proud? Oh, yeah, I'm proud. You are a blessing to me, Dad, Joey and Jessi. We are more than blessed to call you our daughter.

Happy Birthday Hannah-Bear!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Hannah!

I've never heard the term indoor plumbing used in that context before. That is funny!

missy said...

what a beautiful tribute. and a beautiful young lady. happy birthday!

Mindee said...

I love that story. Happy Bday Hannah! How fun that you got the day off. :)

Michelle said...

Just doesn't seem possible for Hannah to be a teenager! Love this post!