Thursday, December 9, 2010

Happy Birthday Hannah!


My Sweet Hannah,

"14 years ago today, you and I were working pretty hard."

I just had to say it. It wouldn't seem like a birthday if I didn't. ;)
Ok, on a serious note, 14 years ago today was a day I will never forget. It was the day I first saw your beautiful face. I know you sometimes think being the middle child makes you the quiet forgotten one, but that is most certainly not the case. Each child holds a particular and unique place in a mother's heart that no one else can fill, and you my special girl, hold a prominent spot.

Your dad told me all along that you were a girl, and he was right. I was afraid to believe him, since I wanted to have a "pink" baby so badly I didn't want to set myself up to feel disappointed if you were a boy. So, I just patiently waited...and waited...and waited. You absolutely took your time, no hurry on your part. My due date was December 1st. By the date on your birth certificate, you can see you were quite a bit later.
Doc T. finally had to set a date to coax you out. One day I'll get into all the medical particulars, but suffice it to say my body was ready for you to move out also.
Your dad was so nervous he could not get to sleep the night before your induction. Finally, just after he had dozed off, you decided it was time. Maybe the whole Doc thing finally scared you into coming out on your own or maybe you wanted to be mean to dad, I don't know, but we showed up at the hospital about 2 am.

As long as I live I will never forget what I said to the nurse at the desk.

"Hi. I am supposed to be induced at 7 am, but I think I'm going to do this on my own."

You were born at 7:57 am.

Oh, how a mother longs to hear the words, "It's a girl!"
But, in your case, that is not how I learned you were a girl.

Instead, I heard these words, "It's indoor plumbing!"

Huh?

But, nevertheless I cried tears of joy. I had my girl, and she couldn't have been more perfect.


I know you three hate when I tell you that you are growing and maturing way too fast, but it's so true. I get so sentimental when I think how fast time goes.

One minute you're singing "Jesus is the Rock" in your Strawberry Shortcake pajamas in the living room with a giant stuffed animal, and the next you're shaving your legs and giving me fashion advice. Wait! Where did that time go??

I couldn't be prouder of the young woman you are becoming. You are so warm and engaging, an absolute joy to converse with. You laugh easily...sometimes too easily, but we won't get into that. :) You make it easy for people to be around you, you make us feel loved.


You exude such a sense of calm. And, frankly you know I need you to be that for me. :)

I love to hear you laugh...uncontrollably. I love when you give your dad a bad time, and I love the close relationship you share with him. I love when you hug me and tell me you love me. I love when you give me your "look", that says, "I think you're weird, mom." I love when you surprise everyone by doing something completely unpredictable. I love when you get in one of your talkative moods and tell me everything...in detail. And, I love when we curl up together and have a cup of coffee loaded with flavored creamer. Yeah, that's the best.
I have so many nicknames for you, huh? I am just a nickname person. It drives dad crazy. But, of all the cute things I call you, the thing that you are is my little rock. You have always been a strong constant calming force.


I am blessed by you.....everyday.

I am so proud to be your mom. :)

Happy Birthday, Boo.

Love, Mom

5 comments:

mindyjw said...

Yay! I love your birthday posts, Tracey! Happy Birthday, Hannah!! : )

Peggi said...

Happy birthday Hannah!!!
Tracey, you nailed it-perfect-but then you nailed it when you had Hannah!!!!!!
XO

Saimi said...

What a beautiful sweet tribute to an obviously beautiful young lady!

Happy Birthday Hannah!!

Mindee said...

Hannah is a great kid. I too appreciate her calmness and estrogen in my noisy, boy-filled car!

Happy (late) Birthday Hannah!

Amy said...

Such a sweet note....hope Hannah has a hard copy of it!

Happy 14th to you, Hannah!