Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Winter Woes

In the midst of this horrible winter storm, Dave and I had to make a trip to the emergency care clinic to have Jessi's hand X-rayed on Monday. It would have been a better story to say she fell on the ice, but she didn't. She was accidentally tripped by someone in P.E. By the looks of her fingers and her tear stained face we felt pretty sure she had broken it. However, she only hyperextended it, making for some ugly bruising and a mighty sore hand. Whew...Doc thought it should heal up in no time.
Selfishly I was glad the money we have spent on her drill team class and costume was not going to be wasted while it healed.
I know I am a bad mother.
If it would have been broken she would have had to miss her winter performances. They have been practicing some stunting, and since Jessi is one of the smallest she has been dubbed a "flyer". When she first came home and called herself that I had no idea what it meant. But, she has enlightened us.

Flyer: (noun) - a cheerleader who, during the stunting process, is hoisted into the air for spectacular effect.

Frankly, I would rather have her be a "lifter". (I just made that word up. I don't know what they call the girls who stay on the ground.)
Broken finger averted, we came home to our quickly defrosting refrigerator. The compressor is out and we are trying to nurse it along until the storm passes so we can replace the fridge.
For those of you who don't know my man let me fill you in on him.
He fixes EVERYTHING! I mean everything. He will not admit defeat and has on numerous occasions resurrected from the dead appliances, small machinery and kitchen gadgets that I did NOT want resurrected. They should have been let go and replaced with a newer model, but with a smile of victory on his face he saves. He has saved my vacuum from the brink of death so many times I have lost count.
So for him to admit defeat in this case...well it means this fridge is toast. Even the miracle worker is out of miracles for this one.
He is not happy about it mind you. He is mumbling under his breath how happy I must be and how there is no way he is spending more than...well you get the picture.
I can just hear his ramblings at the office when he is around the guys.
And, for the record I don't want to get a new fridge either.
However....if I have to get a new one I may as well get what I want. :)
Love you honey. LOL

5 comments:

missy said...

being a flyer sounds fun...for her, but definitely not for the mom!!! sorry mr. fixit couldn't resurrect your fridge, but how fun for you to get a new one!

Saimi said...

Ouch! Poor girl, poor finger!

Good for your husband in the fixit department! I will use something until there is absolutely nothing left of it...cause as long as it is working, I'm using it...Drives my husband nuts.

In the case of the broken Refer, sounds like you've done all you can do and I'm excited you get a new fridge...Oh Happy day and Happy Shopping!!

Amy said...

Glad to know that finger isn't broken. It does make for a good story thinking it happened on the ice. Poor Jessi! Ouch!

Mindee said...

Poor Jessi. But yay for a new refrigerator! I get way too excited about new appliances.

Michelle said...

Maybe you should go shopping alone so it is a pleasant experience?? :)
Tell Jessi the boys are impressed with the injury!