I am going to let you in on a little secret.
I have this thing against Pop Tarts. Weird and trivial? Well, yeah it is, but I feel like posting about it today.
Ok? Ok.
So, this thing with Pop Tarts probably started back when I was a child. My mom had this thing about processed food. I never even tasted Spaghettios until I was an adult. I realized I hadn't missed anything, however as a kid it felt criminal to not have it in our cupboard. She also had a thing about sugary cereals. Which meant that any cereal box that looked fun and inviting to a child was an instant NO.
With this mind-set we never even asked about Pop-Tarts. I mean my sister and I probably never even knew they existed.
Fast forward to the present.
Maybe it's a way to make my kids miserable, or maybe it's my sugar deprived childhood, but I never bought Pop-Tarts for my kids.
I have a little saying that goes like this, "There is nothing good in a Pop-Tart."
And so it went for many years.
Until we went camping on vacation a few years ago and for a surprise I bought, GASP, Pop-Tarts for my kids. And then they disappeared back to the grocery store shelves once again, where I prefer for them to stay. Until...
This semester Joey has a 7:00am class where the teacher lets them bring in breakfast, as long as it is reasonable. Which means nothing distracting. I assume he means that he doesn't want kids hauling in plates of pancakes. :) So, you know where this is going.
Joey explains to me that most kids bring in Juice Stop smoothies. (Too expensive for an everyday breakfast. Who are these parents anyway who spring for this? Certainly not me. Unless the kids are paying for it. In which case since they haven't experienced weekly grocery bills, mortagages or insurance it could be understandable. ) Or doughnuts...Or Pop-Tarts.
"Would you get me some Pop-Tarts, Mom?"
I felt guilty since he is as skinny as a rail, runs between 15-25 miles a week, and spends his share of time in the weight room. So, I reluctantly bought them.
Most days he leaves for school with a package of Pop-Tarts, maybe a banana and a bottle of water.
Then he explains to me that his classmates razz him for bringing in water.
"Hey there healthy boy, I see you got your water bottle." Ha Ha As they down their Mountain Dews.
At which point I draw the line.
Did I mention I have this thing against Mountain Dew??? :)
Thursday, March 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
I can't tell you the last time I had a Pop Tart but they ARE delicious! My husband said he attended a nutrition class once in college where it was said that Pop Tarts are the worst thing you can eat -- all sugar and high calorie. I said that's absolutely ridiculous. There are FAR worse things than Pop Tarts. I used to get a brownie out of the vending machine for breakfast where I worked that was over 1000 calories.
Pop Tarts are gross. Tell Joey he's lucky. I make Reagan take a whole wheat bagel with low-fat cream cheese or a baggie of cereal.
And do you remember how I let Brett have sugary cereals? Well of course you do.....and you never let me forget it!! LOL
I was never going to let my kids have sugar-coated cereals, soda or chips. Then entered the grandparents.
thanks for the comment on my blog.
Maybe someday he'll realize that 400 calories of sugar and carbs don't last very long. : )
I love your blog Tracey!
Post a Comment