Thursday, April 21, 2011

21 Years Ago...

April 21, 1990.
A day that will forever be etched into my memory.  A brand new day was beginning.  I was beyond nervous, yet so happy. I had been counting down the days, and it was finally here.
 My hair wasn't just the way I had wanted it, but my carefully planned makeup palette and perfume were just right.  And the dress...well it was my dream dress.  Beautifully beaded, ruffled and white. 
I was surrounded by a flurry of activity and people all focused on the monumental event that would soon take place.  I couldn't have been more ready.
I shudder now to think of how young I was. 
20 years old. 
However, I was head over heels in love, and nothing else mattered.  I was marrying the man I had been  devoted to since I was 16.

This morning 21 years later I sit here on my couch to tell you the story. 
It's a great story. 
It's a story of growth and maturity, of steadfastness and love, of give and take, of compromise, of tender devotion.  It's the story of the life we have built together. 
Some would say we were too young, that we should have experienced more of life before settling down.  I suppose...for some.  But that was not the way our story was.  It has been written exactly as it was intended, and I have no regrets.


Alot has changed in 21 years.  Mostly this...


How could I put into words the blessing of children? 


They are the beautiful fruit of a union blessed by God.

One day when our story is complete, they will be the legacy we leave.

So I can't tell the story without them.

They give the story a richness that couldn't be brought any other way.

I am thankful  for God's faithfulness to two imperfect people that had nothing to bring to the table but a young immature love.  He took our willing hearts and began a good work that continues today. 

And so I am going to leave you with this picture.  I like this picture.  I laugh everytime I see it.  I remember how many times we tried to get us all in the frame that day.  I was determined to get it perfect.  Never happened, but it is a great memory.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  This picture tells our story. 
It's certainly not perfect, that's evident.  We don't always get it right.  But because God remains faithful He moves us around a little bit to make the picture full and focused, reflecting the love we share for one another, that's the reason we're still happy.  And the reason the story goes on...

6 comments:

tammy said...

Love this post. You have a beautiful family. Happy Anniversary!

Karen said...

Tracey, Amen and Amen! May your story continue full circle! Blessings on you and your family.

Peggi said...

What do you mean "imperfect"? I saw it differently-two perfect people completing each other.
love you!!
PS-You make great kids :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Tracey,
I loved your post...I loved how you shared your heart about your family...it blessed me...Happy Anniversary :)Debbie

Mindee said...

Happy Anniversary Dave and Tracey. This was so well written - just beautiful.

I want a picture of you in your dress though!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post.

Thanks for sharing