On Veteran's Day every year I think and reflect on the sacrifices made by all vets, but in particular the sacrifices made by members of my family. My Dad is a Vietnam veteran, and both of my Grandfather's are World War II veterans.
My Grandpa Kelly is no longer with us, but when he was, he loved to tell us stories of his days in the service. His officer training, the "Dear John" letter that broke his heart, and the day his friend carried him from the battlefield. "I would have died that day if it wasn't for him," he'd tell us.
My Grandpa Dargatz never talked much about his time in the service, except for one time he took Dave and I to visit and tour the ship that took him overseas. As we stood on the deck of the ship that day, I wondered what it must have felt like to wave good-bye to family and friends with no assurance you would see them again. Sacrifice.
My Dad doesn't talk about his time in Vietnam too much. He is an Army Special Forces Vet. He left my Mom and I behind shortly after I was born, and didn't return for a year. I've seen pictures he took over there, pictures of a time and a place I'll never know. Pictures he took while he patiently put in his time for his country and his family. Though I don't remember that year without him, my Mom does. She sacrificed, too.
Dad, I am so proud of you! Words cannot express my emotions and feelings. The older I get the more I realize what you gave. And, now not a Veteran's Day goes by that I don't cry and swell with pride to be a daughter of a veteran. Thanks Dad!



1 comment:
Beautiful. Nice post.
Post a Comment