Friday, December 12, 2008

Love My boy




Here is my precious son back when he was...........well..........precious. I cherish every moment with this incredible young man, but he is no longer what I would call precious and adorable. He is 14 and obsessed with farts, football, baseball, Eli Manning, Husker paraphernalia, and funny YouTube videos. But, I must admit I love to reminisce about his "precious" days. He was a little dolly. He was actually in a commercial for public television when he was 10 months old. He loves to tease us about it because we were paid $20 for his "acting debut". He wants to know where his money is and we sheepishly tell him the truth....we spent it on diapers. :)



Anyway, all of this leads me to the present. Here is Joey now. Funny, huh?



The other day he and I went to buy him some pants. He is either growing out of his pants or blowing the knees out playing tackle football with his friends, take your pick. I just can't keep him in a pair of pants too long.



Now, I am going to preface this story with a description of Joey's taste in clothing. It is track pants or jeans, hoodies, and t-shirts, preferably Husker t-shirts. That's it. Nothing trendy, nothing remotely Aeropostale looking. Just very basic. I can live with that. Alright, back to the story....................So, in we go, each of us with our own ideas of what pants to buy. He goes straight to the Husker/Sport dept. in JCPenney's. I am following him with my "I am not buying you any more track pants because the fabric is thin and you keep blowing the knees out" speech. " You're getting jeans this time." "Ok, Mom, but you know I prefer the track pants."



Into the jeans dept. we go. "How about these cargo pants? These are cool." To which he replies, " You must be kidding, Mom. I hate those."



"Well, ok, here's a couple of blue jeans then, go and try them on." So out he comes and these jeans are hanging off of him and he says, " These are good."



"You have got to be kidding? You look like a gangster!!!!"



Huff Huff Huff, and back he goes into the dressing room. The next pair he comes out in, and I exclaim," Oh those are perfect! Just your basic straight leg, not the skinny leg syle, just regular, basic, not hanging off of you, yet looks like they fit you kind. Let's get these."



"Mom, I look like a Jonas Brother. These feel like they are sucking to my legs. I am not getting these." And, off he wanders down the fitting room hallway, and I am loudly telling him as he goes, that I am not buying the "gangster" pants and I am not paying over $30 for a pair of jeans! It was at this point for the first time I realized that, hey, we are not the only one's in the store. In fact, there were other men in the dressing room and other women browsing the racks all around me. And, Joey and I were arguing about a pair of jeans.



So, I decide that I better take it down a notch. Uh Huh. Take a deep breath, go back to the rack and try to find a compromise. You're the adult, Tracey, act like one. So, in a last ditch effort, we find a pair we both agree on. Hallelujah! Joy!! Bliss!!!!



And, in true parent style, I go back to the rack and buy another pair just like it. Hey, we both agreed AND they were on sale at $14.99 a piece. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Joey that I said you ARE the best shopper I know. You always find what's current and cool and somehow, for you, it's always on sale!

He should just bow to your wisdom and superior skills. :)

Anonymous said...

You can tell Joey that I think that you both made the right choice too.

Amy said...

Such a cute picture with Joey and "Q" Bear!

Love it!

Anonymous said...

jOey...your so wierd??!! How am i related to u!!

Hannah****

Anonymous said...

joey you look so cute back then. but right now? no way!!!! ha ha ha Jessi