Monday, February 23, 2009

Happy Belated Birthday Weasel


Last week was my little brother's birthday. He is not so little anymore...........22 to be exact. I think a little reminiscing is in order.

When my parents sat my sister and I down to tell us he was "on the way", we weren't exactly thrilled. I was a senior in high school and she was in the 8th grade. Not exactly good timing for us. And, as a matter of fact, probably not for my parents either. :) After the initial shock, we all settled in to the fact that a baby was indeed coming.

His name was a family decision. We sat around the table many times discussing names. That was the fun part. Then, he was born. No longer fun. :) He was all boy, from the first cry. He didn't make it easy on us, and if that wasn't enough, wherever we went people assumed I was the mother. I was almost 18 when he born, so it seems logical. Nevertheless, I was horrified.

I spent the summer before leaving home for college watching him while my mom worked. I grew very attached to him, and when I did leave home, I took a big picture of him which sat front and center in the living room of my apartment. I looked forward to every visit from him.

I have many stories I could tell about him. Funny memories I have, I like to reflect on. Too many to tell in detail. Peeing on the courthouse lawn when he was 3 when Michelle wasn't watching him, ninja turtles, taking him to the movies when he was 3 and wishing I didn't, flashing a flashlight during my wedding ( he was so cute in his little tux being my ring bearer), him telling Michelle she should move out (ouch, nice love from li'l bro), the day he and I went to Adventureland and all of his antics, they were endless and funny. He's still funny.


Now he is no longer little and I actually went to a movie with him not too terribly long ago and this time I was glad I did. :) We had a great time. This time we didn't watch "All Dogs Go to Heaven". No this time, it was James Bond, and he didn't talk through the whole thing and ask to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes. :)

Happy Birthday, Brett!!! I still love ya!

3 comments:

missy said...

this is such a darling post! we are constantly having "baby naming" discussions, so i can relate to that.

The Wiechman's said...

Same thing happened to me when my parents brought home the two youngest. Only I was 15-16 and people still thought they were mine! But I now see them growing up. It is good to know they won't be mouthy teenagers forever :)

Anonymous said...

My baby boy is grown up!! And anyone who knows Tracey & Michelle know they will never grow up!!
XO love you three, Mom