Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Conferences


Last night I went to parent/teacher conferences, and I thought I'd share a few of my observations. This was the middle school conferences, so you have to go and wait in line to talk to a teacher. This is an OK system, except for when you are the one having to wait. :( I gave up on one of Hannah's teachers..........just too long of a wait, and she has an A in the class, so not stressing over it.

I look forward to touching base with the people who spend time with my kids everyday. I like to see if my perception is the same my kids have about them. Some I like, and others I really don't. I always tell my kids, it's a life lesson, not everybody you deal with in life is likeable. They are learning to deal with alot of different personalities.

I went into one area to talk to the 8th grade teachers, and heard, "He's a great kid, getting a good grade in my class, but he likes to talk." His science teacher even gave him an "N" as his behavior grade. This means....needs improvement. Her complaint.....talks and gets "squirrely". Squirrely....hmmmm. Sounds an awful lot like a 14 year old boy. She recommends we make sure he is in the differentiated science class next year as "he needs the challenge." I smiled at her comment. Every year of middle school has been the same for him. Some of the teachers really like his sense of humor and chattiness and others don't at all. He's still figuring out how to tell the difference. :)

Then I go to the 6th grade area and hear, "She is a great kid, getting a good grade in my class, but she is sooo quiet." And, I wonder to myself, "Did I really bear both of these two children, 'cause they are polar opposites."

I'm just thankful they're both working hard, getting good grades and learning alot along the way. I am thankful they're learning not only text book knowledge, but also people skills, and practical life lessons that will come in handy on their ride through life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and they are both terrific, enjoyable people!

Good job mom. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the squirrely stage. I remember a gal telling me EVERY boy goes through that stage.
But what a wonderful picture!!!!
My grandkids are perfect Tracey, and I will go with you next time to tell those teachers so!!
XO Mom aka Gram

Amy said...

Sounds like you had nice conferences...and why wouldn't you! They are both very nice, friendly, smart kids...just very quiet at 7:45 in the morning. :)