I have always hated goodbyes. It started as a child when my family moved from southern California to Nebraska. After that we didn't see our extended family very often. It was a huge occasion to see grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Consequently, that is when the terrible habit of crying goodbyes started for me. I hated that I couldn't control those big tears and awful sobs when it was time to go back home. It was uncontrollable. I remember my Grandma would always say, "Now Tracey, don't do this.........if you start, then I will too." I tried so hard not to, but inevitably the tears came.
There is a purpose in the previous paragraph, let me get to it before I digress too much. :) Anyway, so this week our next door neighbors, Bill and Karen moved. The were great neighbors, and although we didn't talk frequently, we enjoyed visiting in the summer when it was warm outside across the fence. Once in awhile Karen and I would have a glass of wine together and talk about lots of things. Family, hobbies, kids, our dogs, and tough times.
There were 3 families that we met when we moved into our house. I call them the originals. I think it has hit me so hard, because Bill and Karen are the last of the originals to move. It just won't be the same. No more Jack and Winnie (their dogs) for Mikey to bark at. The kids always joked Winnie was Mikey's girlfriend, and that is why Jack always barked at Mike. No more seeing Bill out at their beautiful backyard pond feeding the fish. No more wine in their enclosed porch. I'll miss all those things, but I know things can't always stay the same.
So, I wrote a note in a card and tied it to a bottle of wine, and sent Dave over with it. I could feel the tears, and hear my Grandma's voice, "Tracey.....don't do this." And, once again I knew I couldn't control it, so I decided to spare them my tears.
We'll miss you Bill and Karen!
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
so hard to say goodbye!
Good neighbors are priceless. I hope their "replacements" are wonderful too! Or at least quiet.
Tracey I totally understand on this blog. We have had so much turn over at our end of the street and still yet to get good ones to replace. Good luck to you. Lisa Ford
I don't know why I happened upon this blog post, Tracey. We miss our old neighborhood terribly and can't even drive through it yet. It just hurts too much.
We miss you all so much, and your kids have all grown so tall and beautiful.
I will enjoy a virtual wine with you, okay? :)
Post a Comment