
I decided to read Max Lucado's book, 3:16 The Numbers of Hope, this week for Easter. I wanted to read, He Chose the Nails, but it was all checked out at the library. Hmmm, somebody had the same idea as me.
Today instead of sleeping in, I used the quiet time of the morning before the kids got up to read and pray. This is a quote from a chapter I read this morning:
"Thanks to Christ, this earth can be the nearest you come to hell. But, apart from Christ this earth is the nearest you'll come to heaven."
This struck a chord inside of me, as did his overview of scripture regarding hell. It is a real place. As real as heaven. As he quotes in his book, " Jesus spoke of hell often. Two-thirds of his parables relate to resurrection and judgment."
So, all of this got me to thinking. When I marvel at the price Jesus paid to save me from an eternal existence in hell, I wonder why would someone go through what he went through, willingly? Why such agony, such torture? And, it occurs to me, he truly understands what hell is really like. He knows the hopelessness of it, the darkness of it, and He wants no one to experience it.
Today I reflect on the death Jesus died for the sins of the world. I reflect on His ultimate example of selfless sacrifice. I do it to honor Him for loving and saving me. And, even though according to President Obama we are no longer a christian nation, thanks to Jesus, I am a Christian individual.



2 comments:
There are still a lot of Christian individuals here. Call it what you want but come voting time . . .
And you are a wonderful Christian role model!
Post a Comment