Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Please, No Not the Grey Stuff


Today the thing I thought would never happen to me, happened. It happened in my car at the Wal-mart parking lot as I was getting ready to grab a few groceries. I gave myself a quick glance in the mirror to make sure I looked presentable for the world and I saw it. The most horrible sight! At first I didn't believe it and looked a little closer. Closer.....is that what I think it is? Yes it is!! A Grey Hair!! NOOOOO!

I know this should not be so traumatic for me, as I will be 40 this summer after all and plenty of people get grey hair even earlier, but it's still not fair. I thought I could at least be 50 before they came. Right? I mean if it's not enough that my teenager tells me how ancient I am, and I have to turn 40, I could at least hold off on the greys for awhile.

I am feeling a bit sad about it, as you can see. I did pull it out, by the way. Nasty thing that it was. I examined it really close to make sure it was not just a blonde one. Upon further examination, I discovered to my absolute horror, it wasn't a grey hair after all. NO, it was white!
As I sadly sauntered into the store to get my groceries, contemplating the signs of my fading youth, I felt a little older. I grabbed my cart and as I loaded it up, I think I looked a lot like the lady at the top of the page. :)

7 comments:

Amy said...

I've had gray hair since I turned 32, so this might make you feel better. I think blondes experience it later than brunettes. The darker your hair the sooner you will notice. Here's what Andy says about pulling out gray hair. You pull out one and two grow back. He's pretty right about that because my gray hair has doubled in the past year! Darn it!

Mindee said...

At least it wasn't a grey hair growing out of your chin.

Anonymous said...

Tracey, I DO NOT want to hear you whinning about one white hair and oh how old 40 is!!
I am going in today for my monthly grey/white touch-up on my ONE OF MANY white hairs. (And walking out of the shop feeling much younger.)
Just wait until you get your food bill at Pizza Hut and you are charged for "Senior Citizen discount" and nobody even asked if you qualified!! (Yes, it just happened Sunday :(
XO Mom

Michelle said...

You are a few months off of 40 and you just NOW found A grey hair?? Are you kidding me? I have them all over and I'm the younger sister.

Anonymous said...

Tracey,
Talk to me when you have as much gray as I do. I can't even color it because in two weeks I would have a skunk strip running down the top of my head because of all the gray.

I'm trying hard to feel bad about your one, solitary, gray hair, but somehow I just can't feel it. LOL

Anonymous said...

Ok to make you feel a little better, I was at the hair stylist the other day and she told me that I had a few gray hairs in the back of my head, but I am in denial you know you can't see it, it must not be true, Oh by the way, I am 26!!!

Anonymous said...

My hair has been grey from the age of 17...I don't want to hear about it! : )

Mindy