Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Back From Camp


I made it back from camp in one piece, although the one piece I was in was a bit disheveled....inside and out. I learned a few things from my camp experience, which I will share with you. First off you do not sleep at camp, you only sneak in a few winks when you can. Here is my bunk.....
This bunk is one of the reasons I got little sleep. The mattress was really thin, and when you laid down on it, you'd sink in to the middle. Ugh, not a comfortable night's sleep.
The girls who made this mess hold the key to the other reason I got very little sleep. They had the idea that sleep was not a necessary component to camp survival. Unfortunately for them, I did.

Here is the lake where many of the campers spent their afternoons. The camp had canoeing, paddle boats, tubing, boating, swimming, blobbing, and water trampolines. I spent alot of time here in the shade watching the fun.

I also spent a fair amount of time in the afternoons playing Phase 10 with this group of fun people. One of the boys from our church got an incredibly bad sunburn on the second day of camp and had to spend the rest of the week inside, so we tried to keep his spirits up by keeping him busy with this game. I think we were sucessful, he had fun. Here is a picture of his shoulder. It was the worst burn I have ever seen in my life, complete with huge blisters. The picture doesn't show how red it was, but you can see the blisters clearly. I know it's gross, but you've got to check this out.

I had a couple of difficult girls in my cabin, as I suppose is par for the camp experience. They were from another church, and brought a bit of disunity to my little group, putting a big damper on the week for me. Why God put them with me is beyond my understanding. But, otherwise I loved the girls in my cabin and enjoyed interacting with them and watching them experience the week. Each night they could dress up for the theme of the evening. Here are a few of my girls dressed up for rock star night.


Super Hero night......

Camo Night..........

And, just so you don't think it was all fun and games, here are some campers being baptized in the lake. It was really a beautiful sight.


All in all I am glad camp week is over for me. It was plenty long. But I have walked away with a renewed sense of the needs, hurts, and challenges of this generation. They all need our prayers to stand strong under the barrage of the culture we live in.



2 comments:

Mindee said...

Oh Tracey!!!

Just . . . oh Tracey!

We need a coffee date. i can't wait to here about this.

Amy said...

I was reading your blog and Grant saw the blister picture and said....eewww! I agree! Ouch!