Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Right Shoe

I have been on the hunt for a really good tennis shoe. I bought a new pair this past winter and I hate them. I thought they were going to be great, but there is just not enough cushion and not quite enough arch support for me. Oh, how depressing, I am getting old, aren't I? Cushion and arch support? Let me pause for a moment to cry....
I have talked to several people about different kinds of shoes I thought I might like, just trying to get some feedback. I wanted to get a variety of opinions, kind of like the reviews on Amazon. I love those things. They have helped me be a more educated buyer. So, I talked to a couple of people about these:

I was completely intrigued with those cool looking shock absorber things on the back. But, alas they weren't as comfy as I heard they were, at least not for my feet. So, on to the next kind:
I heard these were really comfortable tennis shoes, but I just don't like them. I had to pass on these. Next idea:
I was really hopeful about these. Now, I know they're not tennis shoes, but I have seen so many women in these shoes, I thought they must be comfortable. I could still do alot of walking in them. So, I asked a lady at one of Joey's ball games what she thought of her pair. She loved them!! In fact, she had the same shoe in several different colors. Oh, fabulous, I thought. Until she proceeded to tell me, that if I wanted something with strong arch support, I won't like them. Bummer! Cross these off.
Now I am getting frustrated, so I did today what I should have done in the beginning. I marched into Scheels and told the salesman exactly the kind of shoe I wanted and exactly what I would spend. He gave me an education on why I didn't like the pair I had, even though they were a good brand, and what I needed to look for in the future. Then, he brought out about 7 pairs of shoes, and we hit the jackpot. Here is what I ended up with:

These are not what I had hoped for as far as how they look, in fact they're a bit ugly, but they hit every other element I needed, plus the bonus was they were on sale, exactly $20 less than my top dollar.

But, here is my thought.....Why can't tennis shoes be really cute? Like flip-flops. This is one of the injustices of life. :) And, sad to think I have come to the place where comfort trumps fashion. :)

2 comments:

Mindee said...

Those aren't so bad but you're right - why do they have to make them so weird looking? Who wears electric blue and silver?

You were smart to go get assistance. Good exercise shoes are something you just can't skimp on.

Amy said...

Those look great! I am glad they are comfortable too. What is the brand called? I can't tell from the picture.