Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Is it Really That Different?

I have had many enlightening conversations with Joey about adolescence and the rites of passage that come with that most thrilling, yet difficult part of life. The thing that always arises out of these conversations is how he believes so passionately that things are so different for him than they were for me. And I can't help but think that all in all, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Are things really all that different? I mean really?

Now I did alot of my awkward adolescence stage in the 80's. What was so different? Hairstyles? Yes, that's somewhat true. But, I have seen several mullets lately.....I think it's trying to make a comeback.
Oh, you've got to love that....MMMM HMMMM. But, in my internet searches, I was right the mullet is making a comeback. Here is what they are calling a modern mullet.


See, not so different.

What else? Clothing? Well, we had polos, tight jeans, leggings, sneakers, plaid, oversized shirts. I see so many of these styles in stores today, I wouldn't have to try hard to convince myself that I was in some sort of time warp. The jeans we would roll the bottom cuffs up to make them fit tightly around our ankles? Remember fellow 80's adolescents? Yeah, I know you do! They now call them skinny jeans. I see polos everywhere I go now. EWWW! I just can't buy one again. I've even seen some pink ones. Whoa! And, I know you've all seen jelly shoes again. Not so different.



Now, one thing I think that cannot be duplicated is the 80's hair bands. In fact there is probably some obscure law somewhere preventing this phenomenon from reoccurring. But, come on, 80's friends now modern parents, there was some good music that came from those freaky guys. Def Leppard, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, and Dave's personal fave...Ratt. I don't really consider Bon Jovi a hair band, but some people do. I loved Great White's song, "Save Your Love". My sister was into Poison and White Lion. Boy we were warped. Ok, that is different, but consider this.....New Kids on the Block are trying to make a comeback. I'm just saying.......

Ok, now for seriousness. Is that a word? Seriousness? Are things really that different? I don't think so. Here is what's the same:
  • Kids are still mean to one another.
  • Teachers can still be weird. (Sorry Amy, I mean upper grade teachers.:)
  • Parents are clueless. (according to their teenager children)
  • There is still loud music blaring from stereos.
  • There are still awkward "going out/breaking up" scenarios happening.
  • There are still geeks, jocks, prima donnas, populars, preppies, and druggies. Albeit they may have different names, but they still exist.
  • Kids are still sneaking around to have parties complete with all the extras.
  • Immature and irresponsible choices are still being made, just like we did.
  • Even after all these years, adolescents are still trying to find out who they are and what this world has to offer them, wanting desperately to experience everything life has to give.

Fads come and go, but the basics never change. I just wish I could convince Joey of that.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I agree with you Tracey. I think the only big change is technology....internet, iPod, cell phones and how kids use them or how we use them to "get in touch".

Oh, I like how you change your music to go with your story. I took note with Mikey's story and now Ratt music. What a flashback!

Mindee said...

Yes Tracey picks great music. At work though, I always have to make sure the volume is off on the computer before I start reading blogs. :)

Ohhh - I don't know if I can live through adolescence three more times. The first was bad enough!

Anonymous said...

Tracey, I hate to reveal this....but your mother has a pink polo =D LOL
love, your fashionable mother