I spend time volunteering regularly at our church with kids. I have worked with all age groups over the years. Most recently though, depending on the Sunday, you may find me in the infant nursery, the 2 year old Sunday school class, or the 8th and 9th grade girls Sunday school class. Wide range, huh? I like to say I am versatile.
Today, I was with the 2 year olds. I just laugh out loud sometimes at the things they say, how they deal with conflict, and the way each one of their little personalities comes through. One spirited little girl today was on only her second Sunday in the 2 year old class. I say spirited, since she was not one bit happy to be with us and was very determined to let us know she did not want mommy and daddy to leave her there. I tried every trick in my arsenal to get her to stop rolling on the floor and crying out her distress, to no avail. She would have nothing of my futile attempts at friendship with her. Finally, she said, in her 2 year old broken english, "Go Away ME!" She was quite upset and I hated to laugh, so I held back my chuckle. But, inside I thought, "Honey, I know just how you feel. Wait until you're a little older and you're having your period and you want to shut yourself in a room and be left alone. Or, better yet wait until you have kids of your own and you are at your breaking point, because you can't get a moments peace without someone crying or calling, MOM! Yeah, wait until then. You'll get plenty of chances to say, Go Away Me! In fact, if you don't mind, Sweet Pea, I think I might just borrow your little phrase. It'll come in handy."
You'll be happy to know we did become friends after about 30 minutes. In fact, she was a bit distressed when I left. Ahhhh, I love happy endings.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Ahhh, the honesty of a 2 year old...and kudos to your patience with her. I believe I might have uttered something close to her phrase today. :)
The cuteness of kids! Darn cute!
Post a Comment