I hate April Fool's Day. I have hated it since the day my mom explained it to me when I was 5 years old. The explanation went something like this:
Mom: "Today when you are at school, some kids might play tricks on you. It's called April Fool's Day. It happens once a year on April 1st. I just wanted you to be aware of it, so you're not caught off guard if it happens to you today.
Tracey: Instant tears and crying....."I don't want to go to school today. I don't want people to play tricks on me. That's mean."
Mom: " Oh, stop it! You'll be fine....now get to school."
There was no hug, no more explanation, no coddling. That was it. And so I have forever hated it. Can you sense the blame I place on my mother? :)
Fast forward to present, and my feelings haven't changed. I still feel a twinge in my gut to get up and go out into the cruel world on April 1st. Couple that with the fact that I work at an elementary school. yeah... So, even though I am on my guard a kid got me really good. It went something like this:
Kid: "Guess what? (big expectant smile) My mom is going to have a baby!"
Ok, pause in the midst of this narrative. I know this kid, and I know who his mom is. It would not be a good thing. Now this isn't a slam toward her. I just know she wouldn't have been happy. I just had visions of her flat on the couch bawling her eyes out. Back to narrative.
Tracey: " Well......" Pretty much speechless, consumed with the thought of his mom and how she was dealing with all of this. And then.............
Kid: "April Fools!!!"
And there it was.....the reason I hate April Fool's Day. It is NOT fun to get pranked. Especially by a kid. UGH!
Friday, April 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Why do all your memories put blame on your poor mother??
Tracey I did my best with what I had to work with=)
love you still, Mom
PS, ask Michelle what she remembers about April 1st.
What does Michelle remember about April 1st? Nothing. Except maybe trying to come up with some prank to pull on someone. Did we really come from the same parents?? By the the way, I had a really great prank I pulled on the kids yesterday. HAHAHA
Post a Comment