Wednesday, October 6, 2010

16 Years Ago


Dear Joey,

Happy Birthday, son. 16 years ago today you made your grand entrance into our lives and I marvel how the years have flown by. I have often said in the past couple of years that I would give almost anything to go back and enjoy one day with you and your sisters when you were small. That's why I am thankful for videos and pictures so I can "re-live" the past. Someday you'll understand...:)


Today I feel proud of the young man you are. Proud of the way you strive to be the best you can be. Proud of the way you face your struggles and challenges head on. You have learned that life isn't always easy, but you never give up.



I feel thankful for the intense blessing God gave us in you. Since the moment you were born there has never been one boring or uneventful day. You have graced each day with love, humor, non-stop activity, and a zest for life. I admire that about you.



I feel grateful for the things you have taught me. Amazing isn't it? Even though you didn't know it, you taught me a few things. You have taught me things about love and sacrifice that I couldn't have learned any other way. Becoming a parent has that effect on you. I think God made it that way. :)


And, I just feel a whole lot of love. I love when you laugh. I love when you call me mom. I love when you ask me how my day was....and really want to hear about it. I love when you do things to help me out. I love when you make fun of me for buying all your sports buttons to wear, but secretly feel glad I am so proud of you. (Yeah, you don't think I know??) I love when you sit down and watch some old rerun on TV with me even though you don't really like the show. I love that you can make me laugh so hard, I cry. I love that you ran right by your dad's side for the entire 13 mile half marathon, even though you could have finished way before him. I love that you love your sisters, even though you try and act like you don't. I love so many things about you.


But mostly I love that you are my son.


Happy 16th Birthday, Joey.


Much Love,

Mom


P.S.


And, by the way, do your mother a favor. Drive as slow as an old man, as cautious as Jeff Gordon avoiding a wreck on the last lap at Daytona, and as alert as the Husker defense on a goal line stand.


It sure would make me feel better.


5 comments:

missy said...

so sweet. love the p.s.!

Saimi said...

What a wonderful tribute to an obviously wonderful young man!

Mindee said...

Happy Birthday to Joey. Can't wait to see you behind the wheel!

Michelle said...

Goodness, I had to wipe the tears away. Joey is a tremendous young man with much thanks to his wonderful mother and father. What an inspiration you both are to me to watch you raise such great kids.
Happy Birthday, Joey! Can't believe you are 16!!

Amy said...

Very sweet!