I am officially on strike this week.
Sometimes a woman has to go to this extreme to prove a point, to make someone else hurt. In this case, my family is the focus of my strike.
Why my cooking occasionally has to be the butt of their jokes is beyond me. This time they caught me at the wrong moment in time and I declared my strike.
I know my cooking has been the subject of past blog posts, so you all know some of the background. I could summarize for those of you who don't know by saying that I like to cook. It's my thing. I enjoy it. I try new things on a regular basis. They don't always warrant a repeat performance, but it's always fun to experiment. Maybe that's why they make fun of me.
Or it could have something to do with the fact that I always try to add healthy ingredients to my cooking. Flax seed, whole wheat, veggies, fruit. You know, just try to sneak it in.
So, in my anger I declared a strike. Refusing to make anything homemade all week. All prepared, all boxed, jarred and canned. They looked at me in bewilderment..."what does she mean?"
I proceeded to go to the grocery store yesterday. It went much faster than usual. I brought home Chinese from Hy-Vee for dinner and then proceeded to tell them of the menu for the rest of the week. Frozen fish sticks, takeout pizza, etc. Ha! I thought, " So there!" "Take that!"
What happened was not the reaction I had hoped for. Dave and the girls smiled sheepishly afraid to say they liked it. Joey wasn't so kind and answered for all of them.
"YES!", he exclaimed throwing his arms in the air while he headed to the cupboard for some storebought cookies.
Ok, so maybe I knew this would happen but secretly I hoped they would humor me with some long faces or begging for me to make one of my specialties. No such luck...
I need some love. :(
Monday, November 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
You are way too kind my dear! My strike would have included no cook dinners of any kind and let them fend for themselves. Sounds harsh but
eating a home cooked meal is a privilege and they need to appreciate you.
My husband taught our boys to thank me for dinner by his example, and I tell ya it's really nice!
I agree with Saimi - you should have left them to fend completely for themselves!
Mine are currently on a Ramen noodle kick. I swear, they'd take those nasty noodle over anything I could make right now!
I happen to love your cooking when I get a chance to enjoy it. There is a reason you have won the silver ladle more than anyone else.
I can't wait to hear the end result after the week strike is over! Hang tough, girlfriend! ;)
Post a Comment