Friday, January 28, 2011

Teenage Trials

I have decided that I am not cut out to be the parent of teenagers. If it was a real job where you had to put together a resume and interview, I wouldn't even make it to the interview phase. Well, mostly because I wouldn't apply for the job.
This is a nugget of wisdom to those parents who have small children now... Just because you were a teenager once yourself does not even remotely help when you have to parent one.
And for those of you who have raised your teenagers into adulthood...Stop laughing at me! Really, it's not funny.
The grocery store is my home away from home. They should name an aisle after me or something. I feel certain that I am singlehandedly keeping them in business.
Also, I am amazed how stupid I have gotten since having teenagers. If only they were running the household how much better life would be.
Joey had his first fender bender last week. Ugh. We have tried to make him take as much responsibility for it as possible, but you still have to step in and smooth the edges, so to speak. We momentarily become smart.
Teenage parenting is...........humbling. Anybody else out there want to finish that sentence?

5 comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Parenting teenagers is . . . a good reason to start drinking!

Anonymous said...

I love this:

"Just because you were a teenager once yourself does not even remotely help when you have to parent one."

...so true. Since some of my kids are nothing like me, I am constantly trying to understand why they do the things they do. What could they be thinking???

I just read an interesting book, though...The Male Brain, by Louann Brizendine. It is a fascinating look at how the male brain develops...and proof that sometimes the men in my house really don't understand what I am saying to them.

Saimi said...

Oh do I ever feel your pain....I truly do. Let me reassure you it does get better, like AFTER they go to college!

Not because they were gone but something in their brain clicked, or the alien left their bodies or they finally reached maturity..I don't know what it was but...Had I known that I would have sent them when they were 16 and made life easier for everyone involved!

Hang in there!!

Michelle said...

Glad you are going first in this area, sis! You'll be an expert when my boys hit this stage...

Amy said...

I agree with you. The younger they are the better. Catching Grant standing up and deliberately peeing in his bath water was far easier to deal with than watching Tyler sitting on the couch facebooking his girlfriend for about an hour. Eeeegads!