Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tell Me When It's Ok to Open My Eyes

You know the part of a suspenseful or scary movie when you cover your eyes until the worst is over?  Or if you're watching it on DVD you fast forward? 
Sometimes parenting is like that for me, only I can't cover my eyes or fast forward.

I have this thing with movies that drives Dave nuts.  I will turn on the TV and start watching a movie when it is half over, trying to piece together what I missed at the beginning.  That way I can get to the happy ending sooner.
And I hate not knowing what is going to happen.  I hate the suspense.  Sometimes the kids will be watching a TV show that they have watched previously, and I will walk in, watch for a few minutes and then beg them to tell me what happens at the end. 
Just cut to the chase.  Give me the bottom line.

I love cheesy feel good movies. 
I love "The Parent Trap", both versions.  I love "Cheaper by the Dozen", "Father of the Bride", "Cinderella", "Finding Nemo", "Legally Blonde", "Sweet Home Alabama".  One of my all time faves is "While You Were Sleeping".
What do all these have in common?  The thing I like about them the most?

Happy Endings.
I LOVE happy endings!
Things get a little rocky in the middle and you wonder if the characters can find a happily ever after.  And, in the end, despite the odds they do.

Do you see where I'm going? 
I want someone to fast forward for me and let me know what the ending is going to look like.  Are my kids going to turn out to be responsible, respectful, hard working, God-fearing, loving human beings? Contributing positively not only to their own lives, but the lives of others?

Somedays I feel quite confident in them, the decisions they are making and the job Dave and I are doing as parents.  And other days I feel like closing my eyes and asking someone to let me know when it's over.

In a way, maybe that's the answer. 

Closing my eyes to the fear and the unknown, and opening my heart to the truth.

The truth that God holds EVERYTHING in His hands, including, and most importantly the future.
 He could tell me what happens.  But, He won't.  'Cause if He did it would rob me of the rich blessings he has in store for me to experience in the process. 

I have always told my kids, Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.
  While we walk through it we gain perspective, patience, wisdom, strength and a chance to witness His grace working in our lives and circumstances. 

And, in this journey we gain much more than just a happy ending. 

7 comments:

Saimi said...

What a beautiful post! Just for the record, I love,"While your were sleeping." And all the other movies you shared, but as a parent a quote I play back over and over is, "Teach them correct principals and let them govern themselves."

It's a hard one while they are young, but I'm seeing the rewards of it with my college age sons.

My sister will aways read the end of a book before she finishes it. Drives me crazy....If I know the ending then for me theres no point in reading the rest. I guess I like the build up.

missy said...

great perspective! i loved this post!

Peggi said...

To know the ending would rob you of gaining that ever-so-closeness we receive when leaning on Christ.
And I wouldn't miss that for the world :)

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

This is your best post ever and totally what I needed to hear right now. Thanks Tracey.

Simply Domestic said...

I cry at the end of Father of the Bride every time I watch it!

I love this post!! I've wanted to fast forward so many times, wondering if my kids will either someday be in counseling or serving and loving the Lord.:) Now that my daughter is in college, I'm having the same talk with her. She wants to see the end and the big picture, wondering where she will be in 5-10 years. What should her major be, etc? I'm sending her your blog link so she can hear it from someone other than me, He wants her to experience the blessings in the process.

Karen said...

Tracey, you have the cutest family! I love happy endings, too! My kids are young adults and I still want to know their future! :P

Say, do you have a follower button?

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Wise words, Mom! Nothing great ever comes easy, and there are great lessons to be learned along the way. In reality, the journey is sometimes the most valuable thing!

So glad you visited me. Nice to "meet" you!