Joey is home from school for the second day. He has no fever, but he just feels lousy with a cough, headache, and sore throat. I have talked to so many people who have had the same thing. All of these symptoms and no fever. I am glad for a long weekend to rest up.
Many people are in a state of fear and obsession over this H1N1 flu. My friend went to the doctor for an un-flu related visit and her doctor's office was making everyone in the clinic wear a mask. Everyone whether they were sick or not.
There is also the other side of the fence. I was telling someone today that I kept Joey home for a second day since he felt so lousy. This individual went on to tell me that everyone is getting so crazy over this whole thing and that the absence of a fever means that you probably just have a cold or allergies. And furthermore, kids are missing out on alot of learning time when parents keep them home when they have no fever. Ouch, that was a little bit of a stinging comment since I kept my kid home.
I am tired of thinking about it, frankly. I don't want to be an alarmist, but I don't want to be naive and careless either. So, I am going to try to have a healthy attitude about this flu inundation. But, I did buy a large can of Lysol today. :)
Friday, September 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Tracey, I am so with you on this one. If a kid is sick, he's sick. It's not like Joey wants to miss school and not get to play football....REALLY! The poor kid had a bum wrap last Fall too, as I recall. Let's just hope that we can stay relatively healthy this winter! Cross fingers and use lots of hand sanitizer! :)
i sincerely hope the person who said that to you doesn't have kids at my kid's schools b/c if she means what she says, i'm afraid she will send them to school no matter how contagious they are. because i'm sure every kid learns a ton at school when they are feeling miserable right?!
Okay, this may not mean much coming from a germophobe hypochonriac, BUT I think people are awfully short sighted about sick kids.
It may be just a cold on a healthy kid like Joey, but there are all kinds of kids at school with chronic illness and asthma. If one of them gets "just a cold" it can be serious.
Plus any kid is going to recover faster with rest. The make-up work will get done!
Post a Comment