Saturday, January 23, 2010

So Much For That

Last night Dave and I took our three blessings out to a nice place for dinner. What constitutes a nice place for me? A place with cloth napkins and more than one fork at a place setting. We decided some time ago that it would be a good etiquette lesson to do this occasionally, since our eating out as a family is rare, and when it does happen......it's pizza or fast-food.
Please do not misunderstand me. We taught our kids table manners, and for the most part they are polite. But, going to a nice restaurant brings it all to the forefront. "Do you know which fork to use?" "Do you know why there is a spoon in your pasta?" "Sit up straight and put your napkin on your lap." "Do not be obnoxious." "Stop that or someday you're going to embarrass yourself on a date." You get the idea.
So, here we were. At a nice local restaurant. Sitting around as a family. I was enjoying my glass of wine. We were enjoying each other's company. Smiles, warmth, politeness. I remarked how much I was enjoying it. Then, I heard a sound that made me instantly cringe and put my wine glass down. A sound that heralded the news that, in fact, my kids aren't ready for a White House dinner invite anytime soon.
"CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!"
Jessi was "helping" Joey finish his glass of Sprite, by giving him this chant of encouragement. And, after my stern scold, I had to wonder......where did she hear that?

2 comments:

Mindee said...

But did he belch when he finished it?

Michelle said...

HAHAHAHA!! I love it! At least they didn't use the napkin as a puppet and tell the next table over to order the swordfish! HAHAHA!