Sunday, December 5, 2010

Rationalizing Relaxation

We are beginning the final week of rehearsals for the musical which opens Friday night. Rehearsals are long and exhausting. The kids are starting to get tired. Dave is used to the exhaustion of Christmas musicals, so he paces himself the best he can by remembering it's short lived. The girls have done this before also, so they're little troopers. Joey, on the other hand, is a rookie so he needs a bit of encouragement right now.
Then there is me. I have taken full advantage of the time when they are gone and busy at the church to enjoy the peace and quiet at home. Full advantage. I have done very little of what I should be doing, and a whole lot of nothing. And can I tell you it feels amazing! Well everything that is except for the guilt that tries to creep in later reminding me of everything that is STILL not done. I rationalize very well, and in this case it comes in handy.
The rationalization I tell myself goes something like this...
"You know Self, this wonderfully peaceful and incredibly relaxing time will be over all too soon. Do you want to waste it by ironing and cleaning and organizing? No? I didn't think so. What you want to do is read, watch movies, curl up on the couch, take a nap, drink hot apple cider, take a hot bath...Hey the list could go on and on. Self, you NEED this. You DESERVE this. Don't give it another thought, just head straight for the couch and park it."
"Oh, yeah and Self, one more thing. Remember to make sure that you encourage the whole family to try out for the musical next year too. It wouldn't hurt to repeat this."

4 comments:

Mindee said...

Oh my goodness - I NEED A MUSICAL!!! Hopefully the thrill of the applause this weekend encourages them to all do it again next year. :)

Saimi said...

I need some serious computer skills! Look how cute and festive your blog is!

Hope the musical is a hit!

Michelle said...

Enjoy and forget the guilt...a mom deserves a break. Which gets me thinking: I wonder if there are any musicals I can get the boys involved in??

Lezlee said...

I love your "Self"! Enjoy! :-)