"No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books."
----Elizabeth Barrett Browning
One of my favorite pasttimes is settling down on a comfy couch with a fuzzy blanket and a good book. I like to read all sorts of books, however I will admit I rarely if ever read a novel. I concentrate on self help type books. The kind of books that teach me something...about myself and life. I like psychology books that help me understand myself and others better. I love to delve deep into biblical studies, particularly Old Testament stuff. I love a good health or medical book. I have been known to read a few biographys when the person is of interest to me. Quite a few parenting and marriage enrichment books have passed through my reading selections also. And I think I have read all of Cesar Milan's dog training books. I love Cesar.
Having said all of that I certainly don't consider myself to be particularly smart or intellectual, I just enjoy learning something new.
So what am I reading now, you ask?
Well as is my usual pattern I read multiple books at once. So here is my eclectic selection at the moment:
"Light in the Shadow of Jihad" and "Jesus Among Other Gods" both by Ravi Zacharias
"Confident Parenting" by Jim Burns
"Boundaries" by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
"Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman
I have read Boundaries before, but it bears a repeat. Ravi Zacharias is a tremendous author and Christian apologist, but is deep for my simple mind. I read his books anyway, they stretch me a bit and I like that. And as always I can use a boost in the parenting and health departments.
I have a wish list of books I want to read, including "How Not to Look Old" by Charla Krupp. I may have to break down and buy that one. Has anyone read it?
Any book recommendations? Just not any novels. Teach me something. :)
Sunday, January 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I'm reading "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat" by John Ortberg. This is a new author for me but I like it so far...embracing the calling God has for our lives and not being afraid to go for it!
I admire your reading list. I try really hard to never learn anything new, so I'm a novel girl myself. :)
I am currently reading The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. Do you want to read it after I am done?
Post a Comment