Friday, April 1, 2011

Radical

Just finished reading "Radical" last night.  Read it?
This was a "radical" read for sure.  Written by David Platt, a pastor of a large church in Birmingham, Alabama, this book steps on your toes and stretches your thinking.  It stretched me...alot.  The following was one of many favorite quotes, but I felt this one summed it up well.

"Ultimately, I don't want to miss eternal treasure because I settle for earthly trinkets."

This applies to the way you spend your life, your time, and your money. 
So moved by this book, I stopped my car to give a homeless man money yesterday.  Instead of making excuses like:  "This guy should go out and work like the rest of us."  "Oh he'll probably just go spend it on alcohol."  "Why doesn't he just go to the mission, they'll take care of him."  "He looks kind of scary."
No, instead of all those excuses, I stopped, gave him money and told him to go buy himself something hot to  drink, since he was standing out in the cold rain.  He was very excited.  Hopefully he bought himself something to eat too.  What he does with it isn't my problem, that's his.  My part was to step out in obedience to God and show love and care to him.
Not a big deal for many, but to me it was a step towards radical.

3 comments:

missy said...

amen! love that book. i want to live to enjoy his grace and extend his glory!!!

Karen said...

Tracey, that sounds like a terrific book. Bless you for following the urge of your heart. If we all did that, would there be so many begging?

Have a wonderful weekend.

tammy said...

Great lessons. Sounds like a good book.